Friday, October 15, 2010

October

First of all, I apologize for the brief break in my posts. I have had a lot going on lately and I'm working a TON (50+ hours a week). Because I've been gone so long and I want to ease myself back into writing, I am going to do tid bits from here and there.

I finished Heat a few weeks ago and highly recommend it to anyone who loves food and wants to know more about kitchens, food education and exactly how much work goes into being in an NYC restaurant. The author, Bill Buford, was/is a writer/editor for The New Yorker when he was assigned to write about Babbo - Mario Batali's first successful restaurant in the West Village. Buford enters the prep kitchen and eventually works his way up to the line. On the line, he masters the appetizer station and even makes a successful run on the grill station. He leaves Babbo in order to learn more about the restaurant's roots and how Mario became "Molto Mario." His travels take him to a family know for it's pasta making in Northern Italy to "el Maestro" - a fourth generation Tuscan butcher. The book flows wonderfully and lends itself to easy reading. Buford is a natural writer and has a way of making you feel as if you were in Tuscany with him.

It was great reading about an NYC kitchen and picturing our kitchen and it's daily operation. The similarities are striking. On my way to work, I would read Heat on the train then walk in the cargo door and witness everything I had just finished reading. Buford describes Mario's stint with "Iron Chef America" and I got to picture an upcoming episode (I think it's airing in January) where Chef (my chef) battles Morimoto. Speaking of television appearances - I woke up three weeks ago today (October 1st??) before my alarm. This never happens so I decided to have a leisurely morning before heading to work. I made some coffee, got back into bed and turned on the Today show.

Before now, I have kept my restaurant anonomous for reasons I can't really explain. I just figured being ambiguous would be easy and keep people out of it but it's hard to describe things without connecting the name. Plus, any of you who are reading this know me and are aware of where I work, so I might as well say it. I work at Esca.

Back to the Today show. Chef David Pasternack was there to make our Linguine. Obviously I got extremely excited and when Matt Lauer (who I have waited on at Esca) said "I have to say this and it's not because you're here right now, but Esca is hands down one of my favorite restaurants in New York" (don't quote that but it was something along those line), I knew Chef would be in a good mood all day. I arrived at work an hour later and got to see Chef, say congratulations and here about how he spent the morning with Tony Bennett, who was also on the show that morning.

Now I am going to completely change course. I cried at work for the first time a few weeks ago. Restaurants in NYC are hard. Sometimes you have people who want to spend money, sometimes you don't. Sometimes customers are grateful, sometimes they're not. I had a table that I went out of my way to help over and over again and at the end of the meal, they complained about the service. I think it was a combination of being exhausted and knowing that they were the table I chose to focus on and give my best service possible. Since then work has gotten worse (realllllly bad) and is now on an upward turn. I hope it stays this way.

Now time for some restaurants. I am going to keep this short - my apologies.

Toloache- Great Midtown nuevo-Mexican restaurant located on 50th between 8th and broadway. I went here with my parents and had an amazing meal. Sam Sifton reviewed it for the New York Time recently and gave it one star. I agree with his rating - decor and other little details could be improved. The food, on the other hand, was perfection. I highly recommend the fruit guacamole and black truffle quesadilla.

Spice Market- My mom and I also went back to this Meatpacking district favorite while they visited a few weeks ago. I was excited to go back and try a few things to write about - seeing that Spice Market initiated my interest in writing a blog. I had the Red Curry Duck and Ginger Fried Rice. Both were amazing and, I believe, they are considered their signature dishes. My mom did the Bento Box - a lunch special with 5 small courses for $24.07. Her box included a squash soup, cod, an asian slaw, a chicken skewer as well as a dessert of Vietnamese coffee ice cream. Definitely a place worth trying.

Margot- This is a Dominican restaurant two blocks from where I live. Some friends of mine recommended it and I tried it this past week. I had it delivered because I was running late for work and did not have time to sit down for a meal. I ordered the Pepper Pork, rice and beans and tostones. Everything was amazing, but a little too greasy. I'm hoping that it only because it was delivered... I'm going to have to go back and try it for real sometime soon.

Balthazar- This French bistro is extremely well-known in New York. I have wanted to try it ever since seeing it on the Food Network's "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" a few months ago. THe show highlighted the french fries and I have to agree- they were amazing. I have oysters to start. Nothing special- just a dozen Blue Point oysters and minuette. Then, because I wanted to try the fries, I got the Moules Frites. As I said, the fries were great. The mussels weren't amazing and I wouldn't run back to have them again, but I am interested in seeing what else this place has to offer.

I feel like this blog is all over the place. Like I said before, I have had a lot going on. I promise to re-focus and get my posts back to where they were in the beginning. I was enjoying focusing on writing and got derailed for a bit, but I'm back. It is getting cold in New York so I look forward to writing about all that fall has to offer in New York.

____________________________________________________________________________

Currently Cooking/Eating: Nothing :( I'm on a bus to DC in route to Richmond for the weekend (homecoming!!!) and I was running late, so no breakfast/lunch for me :(

Currently Craving: My mom's Tuna Noodle Casserole. Look for the recipe and post in the near future!

Currently Reading: Since finishing Heat I have struggled to really dive back into a book. I started A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table by a New York based food writer Molly Wizenberg. I like it but, as I have now said three times, I've been busy.

Currently Obsessing Over: Knives! My birthday is coming up and all I want are a few good knives. Knives are really expensive so I have asked for one utility knife for my birthday to get me started.

No comments:

Post a Comment