Friday, October 29, 2010

Dhall Delights

Last weekend was Homecoming at my alma mater (of six months), The University of Richmond. I took the Bolt Bus from NYC to DC and met up with some of my best friends, Nadine and Amanda, to drive down to Richmond, Virginia. It was my first trip back since graduation in May and it was the perfect reunion weekend. The weather was perfect, the company was hilarious (thanks to Meaghan and her STC friends - the UR improv troupe), and we won the football game! The real highlight though - it actually tops Richmond's new tailgating in the fraternity lots with good beer and liquor- DHALL!!!

While I was in college, I cooked in my apartment more often than I ventured across campus to eat buffet style on a meal swipe. However, Sunday brunch at 11am was a staple throughout my college career. We all decided that a brunch trip to Dhall (short for dining hall and the nickname you are told to use the second you step on campus your freshman year) was a must. And, man oh, man was it good!

As always, I got hash browns and my "signature" Dhall breakfast sandwich. It is simple and delicious and cannot be replicated outside of Dhall but here is the "recipe":

1. Walk to the grill guy and order two overhard eggs with two slices of American cheese.
2. While he is cooking them, go to the center island and toast a white bagel (you will have to send it through twice because the toasted machine sucks).
3. While the bagel is making the second trip though the toaster, walk back to the grill guy and get your eggs - they should be ready. ** Also, make sure he folds them in half. I think most Dhall grill guys do this but it makes the cheese extra gooey and makes it possible for the eggs to fit on the bagel.
4. Move one station to your right and pick up some triangle hash browns and two sausage links.
5. Pick up your perfectly twice-toasted bagel and head to your table to assembly.
6. Once at the table, open the bagel and place the eggs/cheese on the bottom half.
7. Cut the sausage links in half the long way so they are butterflied.
8. Put the two butterflied links on top of the eggs (the should fit perfectly).
9. Place top half of the bagel on the sausage and enjoy!

Nothing too extraordinary but it is delicious. Like I said, this cannot be replicated outside of Dhall. You have to have their sausage, the grill guy and their messed up toaster that requires double toasting to reach this perfection. But for anyone who reads this and is still in Richmond -Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment