Sunday, September 26, 2010

This Summer in New York

I ate a lot this summer in New York. I'm pretty sure that is the sole reason I have no money in my savings or extra money laying around, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I have had some amazing meals at restaurants I would not have discovered if it weren't for co-workers, restaurant friends or guests. This post is going to cover my first four months in the city, so bear with me.

From now on the blog will be more in detail and focused on single restaurants, bar or experience. But here it is - my first summer in New York through my food adventures.

Soccarrat - Unbelievable Chelsea Tapas and Paella Bar. A co-worker recommended it to me and I'm in love. Its right off 8th Avenue on W. 19th in a hidden spot on the north side of the street. On my first visit, we had a few tapas with a glass of tempranillo then moved on to seafood paella and a pitcher of red sangria. Definitely worth trying out next time you're in Chelsea. They don't take reservations so just walk by, grab a drink at the bar, eat some tapas and definitely wait for a spot at the paella table.

Suenos - Another Chelsea favorite. I didn't actually eat a lot because I had heard about the margaritas. A regular guest at our restaurant recommended this for a great nuevo-Mexican dinner. I had some of the guacamole - which is priced per person - but had 3 margs. They have every flavor under the sun but I recommended the passion fruit margarita on the rocks.

Calle Ocho - Recommended by a neighbor who happens to be an employ. I went with a pastry chef from my restaurant and we loved it. We each started with a glass of cava (Spanish sparkling wine) and a starter. I had a wonderful beet salad that paired really well with the cava. Our server (who happened to be my neighbor) offered us tastes of their four red sangrias and we decided on the fresca - filled with an array of fresh berries. We moved on to a few tapas, all of which we shared, and took our time sipping the sangria. All in all a great Upper West Side experience.

Aquavit - I made a reservation at Aquavit during July's Restaurant Week. My mom was in town and I had wanted to try this Marcus Samuelsson place for a while. In fact, when asked where I would dine if I had $200 and a night off on my application for my current job, I answered Aquavit. However, I was not too impressed with this Midtown East two-star restaurant. The food was OK but service wasn't great and I left thinking that the Ikea Swedish meatball would have been just as good... I might make another trip back but only because I believe every place deserves a second chance.

Eataly - Wow! Eataly opened August 31st and it is the place to be. Anyone who visits New York has to visit this 42,500 square foot Italian food mecca. It is located on 5th Avenue between 23rd and 24th. It offers five restaurants (fish, vegetarian, meat, pizza and pasta), gelato, chocolate, panini, espresso, desserts, cheese, raw bar, bakery, butcher, fish market, produce, cooking equipment, cook books, wine store and MORE. Also, a rooftop beer garden is about to open over looking Madison Square. I cannot say anything bad about Eataly - other than the crowds... but it is only because it is so amazing. Definitely try crudo, the pizza that cooks in 60-90 seconds and the raw seasonal salad at the vegetarian bar.

Esca - If you love seafood, you will love Esca. I have dined here a few times and have loved it every single time. The focus is Southern, Italian seafood and signature dishes include spaghetti neri (black squid ink pasta) and branzino (Mediterranean sea bass cooked in a sea salt crust). Great wine list and a menu that changes constantly keeps me coming back.

Becco - My third B&B mention on this list and just as amazing as the other two. I stumbled into Becco one afternoon when I was craving pasta. I chose the right place. This rustic, casual Italian eatery is located on Restaurant Row (46th between 8th Avenue and 9th Avenue) offers a great lunch special - $17.95 gets you a starter (either a Caesar salad or antipasto) and unlimited pasta (3 different kinds at that). Everything is homemade and unbelievable. Definitely satisfied my carb craving.

Txikito - Another Chelsea favorite. I was at the Frying Pan on Chelsea Piers one Thursday night with some friends and we realized we needed dinner. I googled "Spanish Food in Chelsea" and this place popped up. Located on 9th Avenue in the heart of Chelsea it is hard to walk by if you aren't looking for it. But once inside, you never want to leave. Between the three of us we order 9 tapas, 6 glasses of wine and a cheese plate for dessert. The meal was timed perfectly - never too much on the tiny table but never empty either. It was 30 minutes of consistently amazing Basque tapas.
__________________________________________________________________________

Currently Cooking/Eating - Trader Joes Quick Cook Steel Cut Oats with pomegranate seeds

Currently Craving - I hate to say it but greasy Chinese food (sometimes a girl just needs it)

Currently Reading - Heat by Bill Buford

Currently Obsessing Over - 2oz. martini glass and 8.5 oz mini shaker. I found them at Chelsea Market last week and I love them. Sometimes at the end of the night all I need is a cocktail. But after a 30 minute + commute back to my apartment, I don't want to commit to a full martini. This glass and shaker make the perfect size Hendricks gin martini. Just enough to taste, enjoy and unwind without messing up my sleep or next morning :)

2 comments:

  1. Nice job Morgan. We may be in NYC this week. I would love to take you to dinner. Luv ya, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I so into Maritinis right now! But vodka..and dirty. :) -Nadine

    ReplyDelete