Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Chocolate is a Girl's Best Friend

Sorry for the absence! It's been another month of craziness. Last time I wrote, I was still on a high from my meal at Le Bernardin. I had a plan in mind for my next blog - the Chocolate Show - but was so sick the weekend after my fantastic Friday night meal. From there, I went into a crazy week of work, then my mom was in town, then Thanksgiving and my birthday in one week and, now, here I am.

Now- the Chocolate Show. One of my co-workers had been talking about the show for weeks and, honestly, I was a little let down. I was extremely excited to go to the show on my day off (Friday) but woke up so sick that morning. I spent all day in bed but was determined to make it the next day. I worked the lunch shift that Saturday sicker than a dog and was exhausted and wanting to go home but I made my way to Chelsea. Perhaps my mood and health at the time affected my feelings towards the show but here are some of the highlights.

Before I explain my two favorite things about the show, I'll give a little background on the show.The Chocolate Show has been around for 13 years and takes place at the Metropolitan Pavilion on 18th Street in Chelsea. It runs for four days in November(Thursday-Sunday) and is open to the public for $30/person. The point of the show is to bring together lovers of everything chocolate related. This year, the booths included everything from chocolate tea, chocolate literature to dessert wines for the perfect pairing. Also, it is not just for New York. Although it includes a lot of local, small businesses, larger international chocolatiers participate as well.

Now picture this. You're sick - fever, no taste buds and the chills- and you get to fight your way through thousands of chocolate enthused New Yorkers... Ok, my mood and health that day definitely ruined the experience for me... Although I was not in the best of spirits, I'm glad I got to see what the Chocolate Show is all about. Now for the highlights.

NibMor Chocolate. This is a chocolate to taste before learning all the ins and outs of this New York-based chocolate company. NibMor is luscious, silky, and sweet but not overwhelming. Although it looks and tastes just like any other chocolate bar, it is different. NibMor Chocolate is completely dairy and gluten free, organic, raw, vegan and contains no refined sugar! I know, crazy. They feature tons of different chocolates from milk to dark, almond filled to bittersweet. The perfect gift for a health nut who loves chocolate!

The other highlight of my short trip to the show was the beverage selections. Below is a picture of a tea booth that offered every mixture of teas imaginable- including, of course, chocolate tea. Although the tea was nice it was no where near as nice as the dessert wine booth -and tasting- at Quady Wines. There were four dessert wines to taste - Essensia, Electra, Starboard and Elysium. All offer different aromas and pairings from pound cakes to dark chocolate. My favorite was the Electra. Although my taste buds were not working 100%, I was able to taste the subtle sweetness of this wine made from the orange muscat grape. Here is the websites description- a) because I don't trust my sick taste buds and b) it was almost a month ago:

With the first sip you feel the wine; light as springtime, delicately sweet, refreshingly crisp, a bouquet of flowers with the taste of peach and melon. Electra is electricity for the mouth!

I actually enjoyed the dessert wine so much that I purchased a bottle on the spot in order to take advantage of, not only a discount, but free shipping as well! I chose this wine for the taste but also for its pairing ability with the numerous desserts I know would be at my family Thanksgiving in Connecticut. I excitedly opened the wine while pies and cakes were being cut but, unfortunately, I was the only one who enjoyed the pairing of homemade apple pie and the sweetness of the orange muscat dessert wine.

Overall, I am glad I made my way to the show. I am definitely going to check it out next year in an effort to change my mind about the show as a whole. Anyone interested in a November trip to NYC in 2011? Keep me posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment