Friday, November 5, 2010

Seasonal

I dined at Seasonal for the first time on my birthday last year. My boyfriend, Nick, had done PR for this new Midtown Austrian Weinbar and Restaurant and, actually, single-handledly worked towards helping them earn a Michelin Star in their first year - needless to say, my first experience was amazing. Actually, one of the best meals of my life.

Last Friday night Nick decided to take me back to start out a night on the town. We were seated immediately, greeted by one of the chefs, Eddy, and presented with some champagne. It is a small restaurant (maybe seats 35-40?), clean, white interior with amazing art on the walls. It is a very calming space that almost sucks you in - a rarity in NYC. The minute you walk in, you forget you're in Manhattan and you feel as if you are in an upscale restaurant on a small street in Vienna. The pace of life slows and your two hour meal passes without a hitch. The moment - or even a second before - you think "I wonder when the entrees will come out", the chef or server is there with a piece of culinary art.

I selected the pork belly with chestnut foam and chanterelle mushrooms along with duck with faro and beets for my main course. Nick chose an appetizer of beets, goat cheese, pumpkin seeds and elderflower and an entree of wiener schnitzel.The pork belly (left) was unbelievable. It just melted in my mouth and was covered in the perfect amount of sweet, tart sauce. The chestnut foam was a nice touch but, personally, I don't quite understand foams... The chanterelle mushrooms were delicate and balanced the flavor of the fat on the pork belly nicely. Definitely a dish to try and definitely one I would order again.

The duck (right) was amazing. I love, LOVE, love duck and Eddy knows how to do it well. I also love, LOVE, love beets so when I saw this dish I knew it was for me. The duck was cooked to perfection and the pureed/extremely finely chopped hazelnuts were a nice touch. My only complaint about the dish was the over powering flavor of beets. They were stewed down with black cherries and the compote on its own was delicious - just a bit much with the delicate yet flavorful and rich duck breast. The faro (cracked wheat) was a nice textural difference on the plate and really brought the whole dish together into one amazing bite.

We chose a red to enjoy with out meal. Nick wanted a Pinot Noir but I wanted something a little heavier. He discussed our preferences with the sommelier and, honestly, I have no idea what they decided on. All I know was that it was delicious and it was a bit heavier than a Pinot. The entire meal was great, yet not as unforgettable as our first trip there almost a year ago.

The highlight of my night was Eddy allowing me to go into the kitchen and see how it is run. I was able to walk back, introduce myself to the line cooks, compliment their food and discuss food in general. It was a nice touch to a great evening at Seasonal that would not have been possible with out Nick's past professional relationship with Eddy and Wolfgang.

Eddy (left) and Wolfgang (right) are the chefs and owners of Seasonal

Overall, Seasonal is worth a visit. The food with not disappoint you, as long as your are willing to try some different things. The wine list is extensive and the staff is knowledgable.

____________________________________________________________________________

Currently Eating/Cooking: Zabar's Butternut Squash Soup with sour cream and parmesan.

Currently Craving: Zabar's Thai Chicken (dinner later this week)

Currently Reading: The Food Lover's Companion

Currently Obsessing Over: Zabar's (as if that wasn't obvious...) This amazing food emporium is a westside staple. Located at W 80th and Broadway, it is a stop I make often on my way home from work. The downstairs has several departments including: cheese, pastry, meat counter, bread/bakery, seafood, produce, coffee and pre-made meals. Some items are a bit pricey but, in general, it is extremely reasonable. Upstairs is a home goods store. I would spend my whole day and paycheck there if I could...

No comments:

Post a Comment